A little snake egg

I used a recipe for cornstarch and baking soda clay to create an egg shape (small) and wanted to try the method of dissolving out the base egg after the p olymer clay was cured.  I found it very difficult to dissolve out the base clay using a very small hole in the bottom of this one inch egg…. and in the process, broke it into several pieces…. but love’s labor NOT lost, it looked like something could be created (hence this little snake) that would emerge from the broken egg.  A little face only a mother snake could love (LOL).

The tiny broken egg itself I patched with liquid polymer clay (one can still see a tiny seam), then used polymer clay to weight the bottom of the egg to balance the weight of the snake. You can buy an egg like this HERE.

little one inch egg and tiny snake decorated

Basal keratinocyte looking polymer clay cane egg: fun histology

After I made this egg with a cane made with alternating brown and cream spikes around the outside of the flower (which even had a dark center like the nucleus of a cell) I laughed at how this egg resembled an histological section parallel to the basal keratinocytes of the epidermis, each cell (each slice of the polymer clay cane) repleate with nuclei and little color bits for organelles surrounded by what looked to me like nice desmosomes, connecting each and every cell (cane slice). Haha, this inspires me to make more eggs from the patterns in bology. Purchase a similar egg made to order HERE.

biology in art polymer clay decorated eggs basal keratinocytes with desmosomes biology in art polymer clay decorated eggs basal keratinocytes with desmosomes


Orange flower polymer clay cane egg

This was a fun and quick polymer clay covered chicken egg to make. I enjoyed it because of the contrast between the orange and deep green.  I also find the abstract iterations of the various canes at different sizes.  This probably reflects my dislike of rigid repeats (kind of like the machine made precise stuff) and the orderly-chaos creats opportunity for “finding” the slightly different stretches, squashed and reduced repeats. These polymer clay cane eggs are practice for the 10 (well, i broke one, so now 9) ostrich eggs I purchased for this purpose.