Polymer clay decorated goose eggs in a nest – this year in Cincinnati Ohio it is the emergence of the brood X cicadas. There are so many birds that are having a good season that I have found three empty robin’s nests (no eggs no birds were there). In many years I have only found one, but this year has been a booming year for new birds apparently because of the cicadas. I salvaged these, sterilized them at 350 degrees for an hour, trimmed off some of the extra stuff and coated them with resin. I think they will remain pretty stable if not exposed to water. (Robin’s nests are a mud base and lots of fluff and stuff for softness on the top).
I really enjoy decorating custom eggs. Just ask for one and I will create it for you.
Base was manufactured over a plastic egg (two halves) using paper mache then put back together with more paper. Then covered with a thin layer of translucent polymer clay (still in halves) and many of the flowers were put on in a two part egg. The total egg was put together, and cured, and then flowers and background finished.
All in all, i would make the basic halves but the first coat of polymer clay would be a single unit, since putting the halves together was a little problematic.
This egg actually has a lot of detail about the coronavirus (SARS-Cov-2) including representation of the plus sense RNA wound around the nucleocapsid protein in the center of each virion, and the envelope and the membrane (with a transporter protein added as a separate color, and all the thickly placed spike proteins (S1 and S2). What it lacks, aside from being a polymer clay model, a slice through the center of a pretend virion, it does lack the hemagglutinin esterase spike proteins. So sorry for missing that. LOL. You can purchase this egg, or one made similarly, here, by searching the products on this blog, or at this website called memory-beads.
This quilt was dreamed up as a lark for a grandson who is way to old to want a quilt for christmas but for whom i made this hoping that it would pique his interest. I began thinking that the whole quilt would be uniquely constructed small chess board blocks but it because apparent that this would take me about 4 years so I put the blocks that I had already made onto a checker background. I think the idea is really fun, as each chess board is made of scrappy materials, 1.5 inch squares, and stripes cut and sewn in a staggered way (also the border made this way), and then I ran onto some material that actually had tiny chess boards printed on it…. so a couple of those i sashed and used in the quilt.
This was supposed to be quilted on the diagonal for each of the black squares but, using a long arm quilting machine for the first time in my life (to quilt this) it was apparent that straight lines were probably not what the machine was designed to do…. so within about three squares, I began free-motion quilting according to what each piece of fabric had to offer. This included moving around the arms of the pilots wheel, going in and around the large dots, following the leaves and flowers of some of the fabrics, spiral on the tiny polkadots, and so on. It was a great experience to use the long arm quilting machine. My thanks to Julie of Stitches near Tri-County mall, who was open to my experimentation. For that I am grateful, as I know i broke all the rules about the use of a free floating top on their backing material and the zipper thing to attach the quilt to the frame.
This quilt is not without it gliches, and there will be no blue ribbons, but I am posting the picture in the hopes that my idea will stimulate someone else to do a really good job on a similar style quilt.
Next quilt i do like this i am determined to make the entire backing out of black and white 3.5 inch squares, ha ha…. currently it is all one color backing, black with small random white dots.
BTW, i really did think the border (made with black and white strip material) was a genius idea.
Egg shells were dyed with pysanky dye, then dried and crushed and assembled into an abstract floral pattern on an apparently plastic egg which I just happened to find inside a paper egg purchased from Hobby Lobby. The paper egg exterior i used for polymer clay egg (shown here) and the inside, which was pitch black, seemed to be the perfect background for an egg shell mosaic. This particular egg took me about 10 hours (perhaps an unreasonable amount of time to spend on any egg, SMH) but for me it is a relaxing and unwinding task. Maybe one of you will appreciate it and give it to a friend or loved one for easter.
Blue and pink polymer clay with pieces of real flower petal kneaded in decorate this ostrich egg. This particular egg is for sale but I can also make you a custom egg with your flower petals and your specific choices of color.
Just still playing with eggs and this one is highly decorated and also has its own little stem and leaf egg stand.
Corin sent me this image of her NEW STYLE of lady…. seemingly more demure and mature, signs of the times.
This egg was kind of fun to make but it started out as a piece that because of other demands sat for several weeks half done (just the two halves of the egg and a couple of grey round blobs). But in some free time I added flowers and leaves and stems. All these flowers are made with left over clay with flower petals from my Memory-bead business.
It actually goes against my principles of a pristine earth to make things out of plastic (which polymer clay and resin both are), so i am ultra conservative with every scrap. The egg actually was divided, but i added the strands on the inside and pressed it shut with little round pink dots (haha).