Egg for the body (emptied, then covered with a very thin layer of polymer clay) and head made with a large wooden bead (covered with a very thin layer of polymer clay, scored at the equator before baking for easy separation and removal of the bead), and then cured. pieces are put together wit
h polymer clay, and legs and nose and ears are added, and eyes drilled, and cured again. A good sanding, and carving with a tool for linoleum carving was used, but any carving tool that suits you is fine.
Bear was covered with dark acrylic paint, and rubbed to lighten, and different shades of brown acrylic paint were used to give the carved places a feeling of depth. Not a perfect bear, but I will keep him.
Little cockatiel egg with polymer clay striped cane made with glitter red, black and some metalic colors. The egg stand just over one inch high.
Four year old grandaughter used Fimo polymer clay to make this cute egg. She told me the name of the cartoon characters that she used, but I forgotten the name. Too cute.
This is a polymer clay and chicken egg construction. It was a little bit of a challenge.
1) chicken egg was emptied of contents
2) covered with about an 1/8 inch thick layer of peach clay (I don’t much care for Michaels brand polymer clay, its brittle, I feel, more than other brands)
3) cured and then a dremel was used to cut the spiral (which was probably not the best way to do this – in the future I would add the cane layer and cure it again before cutting)
4) I added the cane to the outside and wrapped the spiral around another empty egg for stability (I used a twist tie or two) then cured the egg again.
5) I sanded it with the supporting egg still enclosed, then punched in the supporting egg when it was smooth.
6) Varathane coat was the last step — and now that it has sat in front of a hot kitchen window, it is beginning to slump a little. So there you have it, not everything works out the first time. I positioned it on its side…. and that is more interesting anyway.
Smirky little grin on this egg, made from a chicken egg, polymer clay, fabric and yarn, and a little bit of paint and Varathane. Many steps here:
1) removing the egg contents (scrambled and consumed)
2) covering the egg with a thin rolled out layer of peach colored polymer clay and curing for 30 min
3) drilling out the eyes and mouth and back of head for a working approach to put in the eyes;
4) making polymer clay eyes, adding screw eyes and weights to the back of each of the eyes and painting the white highlights
5) building up the nose and mouth and re-baking
6) using a bent paper clip to create an arc through the eye beads, and hot gluing that in position making sure the eyes could flutter up and down, then using button thread to connect the screw eyes and tied-on weights up through a hole in the back of the head
7) using hot glue (carefully so as not to melt the polymer clay) to seat the back of the head where it belonged and adding hair
8) threading the button thread for the eyes through a little blue bead and tying it off (so the threads wouldn’t slip back into the egg cavity
9) building a stand (sawed off plastic thread bobbin)
10) making a ruffle.
Just for fun, egg shell and polymer clay, and a little bit of imagination. The head is mobile, the legs and tail are fixed. This egg required several rounds of curing and lots of tricks. He has a belly that is made of the same polymer clay cane as appears on his back.