This goose egg came from a stash of eggs from almost half a century ago (LOL) when my kids were young and we were making all kinds of pysanky eggs. I guess this egg was saved but at this point i decided to repurpose it as a carved
and flower modeled egg. I used a thin layer of white and translucent to cover the entire egg except where i penciled in the ovals to be carved later, and cured it, then carved out the oval areas, just pecking slowly. The edges were sanded and then I build the outside of the egg shown here.
Then layered a thin sheet of marbleized polymer clay on the inside of the egg made with left overs from the stripes. The border was added and the egg cured again. At this point I could not decide whether to go further or not, but see below, the edge has roses and leaves and other ornamentation.
This is an old egg, the urethane i used on it for gloss has ambered, but i asked my sister (piano teacher, for whom i made it) to send me a couple pix just so i could remember what it looked like. I hope i do better now…LOL. I also hope the aquathane that i use now for coating eggs doesn’t do what the old polyurethane did, but i wont keep my hopes up. I made her a music egg using pysanky also long long ago (like three decades) as well. The egg shells used to decorate this ostrich egg were dyed with pysanky dyes, then dried and crushed into medium size egg shell tesserae.
This i believe is an egg that I did long ago, with the old formula of FIMO, since it had a waxy feel to it. This is certainly not stunning, but a record of eggs that this family has made for 5 decades, and while simple is still nice. It is also from back in the day when i did not feel the need to use flower petals in everything to give them memorial-significance (LOL).
Blue bird egg on red marbled polymer clay egg – standing around 2 inches high. Just for fun, this egg was modeled on a small paper egg purchased from a local craft
Ostrich egg dyed with pysanky dyes, in a musical theme and coated with urethane.
I am posting the image so that you all know that urethane is not a good covering for such projects. After about 20 years this looks horrible, and the ambering of the whole egg is just sad. So be aware of what products you use to coat your projects. Also, I am not proud of the design… ha ha. Lessons learned.
Firtly – the past tense of the word mosaic, is crazy…. mosaicked. I looked it up.
Secondly – this egg is likely the first ostrich egg that I mosaicked with chicken egg shells dyed with pysanky dyes. The chicken eggs were specifically died (just one mordant color – yellow, then the second color) for this purpose. I found that the inside of the eggs dyed more intensely than the outer shell.. and while disappointing, I still used the pieces.
This egg was given to my mother, probably in the last century (haha… maybe 1990 or so) and went into the possession of my sister who photographed it for me. I think in retrospect the tiny chicken egg shells needed to be organized in a more obvious design, here they seem kind of “lost” in the larger dimensions of the ostrich egg.
Corin and her mom made this awesome “chocolate” and “marshmallow” christmas egg for me (2019). How tender and soft and wonderful. It sits next to a blue bird egg and in front of other eggs from this year. I love that one grandchild is crazy about sculpting with polymer clay. Thank you corin and pepsi. This egg is made over an emptied chicken egg.
This was a lark….. not sure about whom would like it, but it was fun to do, and the orange of this egg is intense, would that the black had dyed as intensely. Its a face, none that I remember seeing before..LOL.
Obviously a brown egg, decorated with quick free strokes to make daisies and green background.
This was an egg that I made before which is posted as a disaster and I spent considerable time trying to salvage the base. It is an interesting challenge to do polymer clay eggs over what is sold as “paper” eggs in the craft stores – which by the way may (often) have a plastic base that is just covered in a thin layer of paper. I am not sure why they dont disclose this from the beginning. Anyway, this is the result of that salvage (i never give up on anything ha ha). There are two glass jewel droplets in this “dragon size” decorated egg. (not as big as an ostrich egg, but bigger than an emu egg)